Bert find outs that the situation is even worse than he feared Yet, by the end of this chapter things may have just taken a turn for the better.
Today is a thinking day. This chapter raises lots of questions. Think about each one carefully. Remember, this is all about what you think, not about finding the correct answer.
1. Why wasn't Bert scared of Roderick?
2. What made Bert think Spittleworth was even more dangerous?
3. Why do you think Cankerby cannot be trusted?
4. Why wasn't Bert scared of Basher John?
5. Why might it be lucky to find themselves at Ma Grunter's house?
This is your chance to become an illustrator when The Ickabog is published. If you are in Key Stage Two, your parents can submit your pictures to the competition. Here's what you need to draw from Chapters Forty-Five and Forty-Six.
The boarded up tavern
Roderick in his pyjamas
Basher John and his blunderbuss
Enter the competition by clicking the link below. Remember, you need an adult to send in your images and all images must be sent in by 17th July.