Week beginning June 22nd 2020
Phase 2: e, u
First watch these videos to practise your sounds:
Phase 3: or, igh
First, watch these videos to revise your sounds:
Phase 5: aw, or, au
First, watch this video to revise these sounds:
Then, head over to Oak Academy to listen to a recount:
Finally, write your own sentences using the star words from the video:
Here are two of my sentences:
If I were an astronaut, I would fly to the moon for breakfast.
When I wake up in the morning, I stretch and yawn.
Weekly Focus: Recount
A recount is a piece of writing that retells an event or experience. We often write recounts of school trips or holidays. First have a go at reading this recount of a holiday. If you are in turquoise, purple, or gold group for guided reading, you might like to try to challenge version!
Now have a go at these activities:
1. Make a list of the important events in the recount. Remember to look back at the text and make sure you list the events in the correct order.
2. Have a discussion with an adult about this holiday. Do you think you would have enjoyed it too? Which part would have been your favourite?
3. Did you spot any exclamation marks in the recount? Can you explain why they are there? Does it change the way you read the sentence?
4. If you read the challenge version, you might have learned some new words. Look them up in the dictionary and discuss their meanings. Can you write sentences using the new words you have learned?
Weekly Focus: Recount
After you've completed the reading task, have a go at writing your own holiday recount. In real life, none of us has been on holiday in a long time, so we will just pretend that we've been on holiday! Follow these steps to complete the task:
1. Decide on what sort of holiday you went on. Did you go camping? Skiing? Was it a beach holiday? Did you go to another country? It is a good idea to write about what you know. Don't write about skiing if you haven't ever tried it!
2. Decide how you got there (plane? car? boat?), where you stayed (hotel? caravan? tent?) and how long you were there.
3. Make a list of what you did on each day of your holiday.
4. Now you are ready to write your recount! Remember to write in the past tense and think about how you can make your recount interesting or funny. Think about where you could use an exclamation mark. Remember to talk about how you felt about the holiday as well.
Send me a photo of your recount on the school blog! Bonus points if you can make me laugh.
Weekly Focus: 0-100
Warm-up: Hit The Button
The daily maths learning is taken from White Rose Maths. There are four lessons for the week. Follow these steps to access the learning
Here are the activities and answers for the four lessons: